- Hi Meeters,
This is a VERY serious issue for me and I’m not afraid to talk, post or film about a subject that is very personal. My family and I are so health conscious and two years ago when I started researching cotton, cotton pads, & linens, something rang a bell. I googled “ingredients in tampons.” Deep down inside, I knew that they would be filled with chemicals, but researching and having it sink in, are two totally different things. I then researched natural feminine products and the cleanest brand that I could find, which I’ve been using, is Natracare.
Because tampons are considered a “medical device” companies have been able to get away with not listing ingredients. My response: If you have nothing to hide, then why not list them. They have been getting away with this for years and they have been called to the carpet with several petitions, lawsuits and a public outcry for transparency.
Although there is still no ingredients list on the boxes, health activists have released what they are made with:
- odor neutralizers
- artificial fragrances
- artificial colors,
- polyethylene (PET)
- propylene glycol (PEG),
- contaminants linked to hormone disruption, cancer, birth defects, dryness, and infertility.
On an old box of “Kotex Click Tampons” the only list that they have listed are the Constituents, which state:
- “100% elemental chlorine-free bleached rayon, polyethylene/polyester cover, rayon/polyester string
Would you want to physically put an item in your body without knowing what’s going inside your body? Not me.
Here is the petition that I signed on Change.org, asking for full disclosure of ingredients.
Here is the disclosure from Naturecare for both Tampons and Pads:
- Soft, certified organic cotton
- Totally chlorine free
- Plastic free
- Biodegradable materials means Natracare only leaves a soft footprint on the earth.
- In the Pads:
- Certified organic cotton
- Ecologically-certified cellulose pulp
- Corn starch (This is non-gmo)
- Non-toxic glue.
- Wrapper: Compostable cellulose, compostable starch film.
In addition to the clean ingredients, here is what else they disclose for their products:
- There are many reasons why you should choose Natracare and here are just some of them! Natracare is plastic free, made from natural materials, animal friendly and vegetarian approved, gynaecologist recommended, sustainably sourced, multi-award winning, certified organic AND Totally Chlorine Free (TCF).
- Using high quality natural materials makes Natracare products extremely soft on your skin, and because they are biodegradable, gentle on the planet too.
- Natracare products are free from all ingredients commonly found in conventional feminine hygiene products; plastics, polyacrylate superabsorbents, petroleum derivatives, synthetic ingredients, latex and perfumes.
- Instead we use certified organic 100% cotton and sustainably-sourced natural, plant based materials. These natural ingredients are highly effective in locking away menstrual fluid and the absence of synthetic materials ensures your skin is able to breathe and stay dry.
- Natracare wipes are free from synthetics, petroleum derivatives, alcohol, parabens, formaldehyde and phenoxyethanol, many of which have been linked to skin irritation.
I know with this, a lot of you may ask price comparision as well:
Target: Tampons Tampax $3.99 for 18 count
Target: Always Pads: $5.29-6.00 for 20 count
The lowest price for Naturcare that I could find online is at Walmart: $4.12 for 14 count
(We are able to find these at our local Follow Your Heart, Whole Foods, Erewhon and Sprouts here in Los Angeles.)
I hope that this helps so many of you to understand what is going into your body and to the most private part of yourself.
Please let us know if you have any questions.
Here’s to our health!